Understanding Lumbar Epidural Treatment
What is it?
A lumbar epidural steroid injection is a minimally invasive procedure performed in Charlotte and Matthews, North Carolina, designed to alleviate lower back pain linked to conditions like herniated discs and spinal stenosis. During this interventional treatment, corticosteroid medication and a local anesthetic are precisely injected into the epidural space within the lumbar spine to reduce inflammation and provide pain relief.
How does Epidural Injection work?
The patient lies facedown with a cushion supporting the stomach area, allowing easier access to the epidural space.
A local anesthetic numbs the skin and tissues down to the surface of the lumbar vertebra’s lamina, enabling the insertion of a thicker needle.
With the guidance of fluoroscopy, the physician directs the needle toward the epidural space, typically between the L-4 and L-5 vertebrae. A contrast solution is injected to confirm precise needle placement.
A combination of corticosteroid medication and a local anesthetic is injected into the epidural space, soothing the affected nerve root.
End of Procedure
After the injection, the needle is removed, and a small bandage covers the injection site. In some cases, the procedure may need to be repeated up to three times to achieve the full benefits of the medication.
This state-of-the-art, outpatient procedure effectively reduces inflammation and provides pain relief, making it an integral part of comprehensive pain management plans for those experiencing chronic lower back pain. New patients in Charlotte, Matthews, and nearby areas can easily schedule an appointment with our experienced interventional pain specialists for assessment and treatment.
Lumbar epidural treatment is employed to effectively manage a range of lower back and spinal conditions, including herniated discs, spinal stenosis, sciatica, radiculopathy, chronic lower back pain, joint pain, and post-surgical pain. This minimally invasive procedure reduces pain and inflammation, enhancing patients’ overall quality of life.
The Benefits of Lumbar Epidural Treatment in Charlotte
Epidural treatment offers effective pain relief by reducing inflammation and providing immediate relief through the use of a local anesthetic, often resulting in improved mobility and enhanced overall quality of life for individuals suffering from conditions such as herniated discs or spinal stenosis.
How to Prepare
Consultation with a specialist
To begin, schedule an initial consultation with our interventional pain management experts to discuss your symptoms and medical history. This consultation helps determine the suitability of the procedure for your chronic back pain.
As part of the preparation process, our specialists conduct a thorough medical evaluation. This evaluation includes reviewing your medications, allergies, and any history of bleeding disorders to ensure the procedure’s safe and effective administration.
Follow the pre-procedure instructions provided by our specialists or the medical facility. These instructions may involve fasting before the injection, temporary adjustments to medications, wearing comfortable clothing, arranging post-procedure transportation, and signing a consent form acknowledging the procedure’s risks and benefits.
What to Expect
The procedure explained
If you’re suffering from chronic low back pain, our specialized treatment plan can help alleviate your discomfort. Here’s a detailed explanation of the procedure:
Patient Positioning: You will be positioned face down on an examination table in a comfortable manner.
- Local Anesthetic Administration: Our experienced healthcare provider will begin by administering a local anesthetic to the injection site. This ensures that you remain comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Precise Needle Placement: Under the guidance of fluoroscopy, a highly accurate imaging technique, a needle is carefully inserted into the epidural space surrounding your lumbar spine.
- Medication Injection: In this minimally invasive procedure, we deliver a combination of a local anesthetic and anti-inflammatory steroids directly into the affected area. This targeted approach is designed to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- Duration and Comfort: This procedure is typically brief, and if needed, sedation can be provided to enhance your comfort during the process.
Possible side effects
It’s important to be aware of potential side effects, although they are generally mild and short-lived:
- Temporary Leg Sensations: You may experience temporary numbness or weakness in the legs, which is common and typically resolves quickly.
- Temporary Pain Increase: Some individuals may initially notice a mild increase in pain due to the procedure; however, this discomfort usually subsides shortly afterward.
- Rare Complications: Less common side effects, such as infection, bleeding, allergic reactions, or nerve damage, are extremely rare.
Our priority is your well-being even after the procedure. We will provide guidance on post-procedure care to ensure your comfort and safety.
Book a consultation now!
To book a consultation with Southern Pain and Spine, you can either call their clinic during their operating hours or conveniently schedule an appointment through their official website. Their operating hours are from Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, with Saturday appointments available upon request.
Book an appointment today with us, Southern Pain and Spine Specialist.